Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Eye of Minds by James Dashner

I, like so many of you, loved The Maze Runner series by James Dashner. They were exciting page turners that fit really well into the dystopian genre. When the series ended, I knew it was going to be a tough wait until something new came out, but that wait ended yesterday! 

The Eye of Minds takes a different turn from the world of The Maze Runner and introduces us to Michael, a gamer/hacker. I got spun up into the gaming world and cyberterrorists, hacking, crazy technology speak, and the thin line between virtual life and real life. It was a lot of fun. 

I'm not typically into books that rely on techno-speak or even on gaming as a plot, because it's just not my thing, but I fell into this world Dashner created and really enjoyed it. The pacing was a bit off at times -- super quick in some spots and overly slow in others, but I didn't mind. 

All in all, a fun read. A few flaws with the pacing and occasionally forced dialogue, but an interesting, quick read. The first in another trilogy, by the way! Great for fans of Dashner's earlier books or even Ready Player One


rose.ann.castro said...

This sounds like something I’d love to read! Thanks for putting it on my radar! Great review!


Jenn's Bookshelves said...

JJ received a copy of this for review. I think I'm going to need to "borrow" it from him and read it myself!