Thursday, January 23, 2014

And We Stay review

After an intense trauma and the death of her boyfriend, Emily is sent to live at a boarding school in Amherst. Processing her grief through poetry, Emily begins to channel the famous Emily Dickinson, who not only inspires words, but also helps present-day Emily cope with her new life and eventually connect with two fellow students. 

I loved every minute of this book. Jenny Hubbard made the emotions of a tragedy come through perfectly, while allowing the reader to experience Emily's healing process. I liked that the plot was a bit slow moving and the author focused on Emily as a character, rather than having a lot happen. 

The friendship between Emily and K.T. was quirky and awkward at first, as a real friendship would form, and those were some of my very favorite scenes. I do wish we had more of Amber from the very beginning, but the friendship aspects of the story, overall, were incredible. 

I did not read Hubbard's debut, Paper Covers Rock, but you can bet I'm placing a hold on it from the library as soon as this review is written. I need more of her writing, ASAP!

Thanks to Random House for the review copy. 


2 comments:

Tina's Blog said...

This is the second time I've seen this book today! And to think, I've had an ARC of it for a few months - and it is still sitting on my stacks. I need to get to it!

Susan said...

I'm glad this one was so good. I'll have to see if I can get it from the library. Thanks for the review!