Monday, February 10, 2014

Coffee and a chat

I love being able to share tidbits of life with you all, outside of the typical book reviews. I know a lot of you participate in features like this one, so if you do, be sure to link up in the comments. I'd love to check it out!


If we were having coffee... I'd have to tell you about my relaxing trip to Florida. I went for 4 days, all by myself, and had a really nice time just doing a whole lot of nothing. I stayed with family, but I'm one of those weird people who actually like doing things alone, so I spent a couple of days just exploring a state park and hanging at the beach without anyone else. I saw these amazing manatees:





If we were having coffee... I'd gush about this amazing book I read while tucked in a little coffee shop on Flager Beach. Tsh Oxenreider is a blogger I follow over at The Simple Mom and she's written pure truth when it comes to intentional living. Through sections on travel, food, money, time, etc., she expresses her own family's journey to live more intentionally, while giving realistic tips on how we can do that within our own family. It was an amazing read for me and it has once again jump-started our goal to be completely out of debt. Right now that seems like crazy talk, but I know it's possible! 

 Reading the pages was like having a conversation with a friend and I loved how honest she was with herself when it came to making parenting mistakes or what truly saving ALL extra money meant. It opened my eyes to a lot of things I could be doing better as a parent, a wife, and a homemaker. I absolutely loved it.

If you're local, Tsh will be at Ebenezers (my favorite D.C. coffee shop!!) on 2/19 at 6:30 just to hang out and sign books. Kids are welcome!


If we were having coffee... I'd have to brag on my husband for a bit. While I was gone, he took care of Elliott alone, without complaint, cleaned our house from top-to-bottom, and baked. I had an event to attend the night I got back and rather than complaining about me being gone for 4 days and then taking off again, HE BAKED A CAKE for me to take. 




Triple layer chocolate fudge cake with vanilla buttercream frosting. I'm not even being biased when I say it was the best cake I've ever tasted. He's good. 


If we were having coffee... I'd have to show you this amazing picture a friend of ours took. Aaron had it framed for me when I came home and let's just say, the tears were flowing. My boys praying together? So beautiful. 





If we were having coffee... I'd have you tell me I've signed up for too many things. My husband is a rockstar and knows that in order to be a better mom during the long days I'm home with Elliott, I need time to myself in the evening. That used to mean taking long runs, but in the winter months that has meant signing up for activities. Holy cow, I'm busy. Not only have I decided I'm actually an elderly woman in disguise by joining a monthly Bunco league, I've also joined a cookbook club that meets monthly. The hostess chooses a cookbook and we each make a dish of our choosing from the book. Lots of fun... and there's wine. 

Oh and then there's the TWO book clubs I've managed to find myself in. I've had my regular book club that meets at One More Page Books (moderated by Jenn of Jenn's Bookshelves) and now I've joined a second one with a few local friends. On the book reading tap this month, I have these two: 




I read Gone Girl way back when it first came out and our discussion is tonight, so I better start reviewing my thoughts. Margot is one I've been looking forward to. 

If you also participate in a feature like this, be sure to leave a link. I'd love to see what you're chatting about over coffee! 

2 comments:

Ami said...

Thanks for giving me another blog to follow! I love the idea of a cookbook club. Maybe I could start one at the library...in my spare time...(how does that work, anyway? Does everyone have to buy a copy of the book, or do you share some around?)

Amanda said...

Whomever hosts picks the cookbook and we either share copies we already own or just check them out from the library. One of the members picked one no one had, so we ended up getting a couple copies from the used bookstore. It's so much fun! Quite a strange menu each time with each of us randomly choosing recipes.