Friday, May 30, 2014

Mrs. Hemingway review



Summer, 1926. Ernest Hemingway and his wife Hadley take refuge from the blazing heat of Paris in a villa in the south of France. They swim and play bridge and drink gin with abandon. But wherever they go they are accompanied by the glamourous and irrepressible Fife. Fife is Hadley's best friend. She is also Ernest's lover. Hadley is the first Mrs. Hemingway, but neither she nor Fife will be the last.


I was absolutely fascinated with this story. I fell for the life of Ernest Hemingway after reading Hemingway's Girl by Erika Robuck a couple of years ago and now I love to read anything I can about him and his lifestyle. Though fiction, this novel was a great look into the world of the women who surrounded him and what their thoughts of the famous man may have been as they were caught up in his lavish life and eventually tossed aside. 

The writing was atmospheric and beautiful, though, at times a little confusing with the back and forth of present and past. I felt the flow was sometimes a little off. Once I made it a few chapters in, I found the rhythm and enjoyed the story. 


Thanks to Penguin for the review copy!



No comments: