Saturday, May 3, 2014

My latest picture book picks

I read a lot of books with Elliott, but there are some picture books that make their way to my mailbox that I love, but are just a tad bit above his interest level at this point. These 2 are ones that will hang out on the higher shelves for another year or two before I read them to him, but they're definitely worth having!


At the Same Moment, Around the World by Clotilde Perrin takes a fascinating look at children in different parts of the world going through an average day. 24 different time zones are covered and readers can visit these exciting places and get a glimpse into what it might be like to actually be a child there. France, Vietnam, Hawaii, Australia, Bulgaria, and Greenland are just a few of the places the book explores, with illustrations exhibiting what exactly might be taking place at that time of day. Pretty neat! 


I love the concept and all the different learning opportunities presented. Time zones, cultural differences, how to tell time, how many hours in a day, etc. A very cool book! 


I also really love a great anti-princess story (Paper Bag Princess, is a classic fave) and The Worst Princess by Anna Kemp is a fun new one on the shelves. Let's celebrate girl power, shall we? Author Anna Kemp has created a spunky character in Princess Sue and girls will cheer for her quick-thinking and quirky attitude when the Prince she believes is bringing her to freedom, actually just wants her to hang out in the castle trying on fancy clothes. 


Illustrations, done by Sara Ogilvie, are bright and fun, which add to the charm of this smart book. I loved it and will definitely be adding it to my list of smart-girl picture books!

Thanks to Chronicle and Random House for the review copies!

No comments: