Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Year She Left Us review

Thank you all for your kind comments regarding my thoughts in my last post. I'm still not sure what I'll do, but taking things slowly is definitely my plan. I don't want to give up something I love, but I do want to make sure I have plenty of time for enjoying books without obligation. You all are amazing!


Today, I have a review of a book that will make those readers who are drawn to detailed characters very happy. I found myself totally wrapped up in this family and their journey of healing and growth. 


From the publisher:

The Kong women are in crisis. A disastrous trip to visit her "home" orphanage in China has plunged eighteen-year-old Ari into a self-destructive spiral. Her adoptive mother, Charlie, a lawyer with a great heart, is desperate to keep her daughter safe. Meanwhile, Charlie must endure the prickly scrutiny of her beautiful, Bryn Mawr-educated mother, Gran--who, as the daughter of a cultured Chinese doctor, came to America to survive Mao's Revolution--and her sister, Les, a brilliant judge with a penchant for ruling over eery thing's lives.

The story is, at times, humorous, while being an incredible family story. There's a bit of mystery, a lot of heartbreak, and a great examination of what one's culture means to daily life. I loved the book and can't wait to see what this author brings to us next! 

To stop by the rest of the tour, check out the other blogs participating here.



2 comments:

Susan said...

I'm always interested in books on adoption, so this one has definitely caught my eye. I'm hoping to get it from the library soon!

heathertlc said...

Thanks for being a part of the tour.