Sunday, May 25, 2014

To blog or not to blog.

This year has been a tough one for me. Lots of changes with our extended family, friendships ending, and just a whole lot of chaos that I wasn't quite expecting to have to deal with, all while I attempted to lead a group of 50 women and be their encourager... plus mom to a toddler and working at the bookstore more. Whew. I'm just tired writing it and it has truly been mentally and emotionally exhausting. It wasn't all bad things happening -- though there were definitely some of those -- but, just a lot in general and something needs to give.

Lately, I've been doing a lot of reading whatever I want and just reflecting on my days, along with a little journaling, and it's perfect for my current state of mind. I'm not passionate about blogging right now and I'm not sure if it will return. I'm not sure what that means for this blog... I've been at it 7 years and letting go would be a very difficult decision. So, for now, I'm going to blog when I feel like it and start to say no to review copies, so obligations will be gone. Maybe taking any pressure off will help. This is supposed to simply be a hobby, after all. 

If this year has taught me anything, it's that I want to be ALL IN with everything I do in this short life. I want to love every aspect of my days (even the temper tantrums), because I'm only on this earth for so long. That meant letting go of a difficult friendship. It meant deciding to make the right choices for our family, despite my own opposition. It may mean being done with this blog, so I can just focus on reading what I want, when I want. 

I'm not putting a timeline on this decision, because I'm just honestly not sure. I'm going to finish up a few review obligations and then see what happens. If I just write once in awhile, maybe the passion for reviewing books will come back. If not, I'm still on Twitter constantly chatting up what I'm reading, so I won't totally disappear. Can't get rid of me that easily! 

5 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

It all comes down to purpose. I didn't start blogging unt my girls were older, and in order to read as much as I do, I gave up quilting. Serious quilting. But since I'm a school librarian, it makes sense for me to read and blog. Once you figure out a plan, you can see how all the pieces fit. Not all of them do, sometimes.

Heather @ Book Addiction said...

I stopped accepting review copies with actual obligations (tour dates, publisher contacts, etc.) over a year ago and it has been the best decision ever. I still do NetGalley but only ask for the ones I KNOW I will read right away, and other than that, I read from my own shelves, the library, and I'm free to buy new books and actually read them. It's been so freeing and I actually am liking blogging more (when I make the time to do it) because I'm raving about books I chose to read, whether they are new or old books. I hope that whatever you decide, you are happy and enjoy the time you do put into reading and/or blogging. That's what counts.

Ami said...

You do what you need to do for yourself and your family - as long as I'm not the difficult friendship:)

Susan said...

I've been reading your blog for so long that I will truly miss it if it goes away. But, family and personal happiness/satisfaction with life should always, always come before any "hobby."

Like Heather, I stopped scheduling reviews and accepting review copies with obligations attached and it's made blogging less stressful and much more fulfilling.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

I hear ya. It's tough. Especially for those of us with young kids.