Friday, June 6, 2014

The Dog Year... interview with Ann Garvin

You all know I love a good dog book. The Dog Year follows Dr. Lucy Peterman, a woman struggling to keep her head above water after losing her husband and unborn child in a tragic accident. She's caught stealing from the hospital she works in and is sent to a twelve-step program to attempt to help rebuild her life. 

She adopts a stray dog and slowly starts bonding with the people in her group while at the dog park. Proving that dog-people really are the best people, right? (just kidding, cats are cool too)

I thought it would be great if Ann Garvin would provide us with a little background that went into The Dog Year -- in the form of its playlist! 

What is the musical soundtrack you imagined to go along with The Dog Year?

This is a wonderful question and since there is a discovered iPod in the book where my protagonist listens and tries to feel connected to her husband after his death, it’s a perfect question for me. If I were to fill an iPod with music for listening while reading THE DOG YEAR, I would fill it with.

·         Everlasting Love by Gloria Estefan
·         Give Me Everything by Pitbull
·         Say Hey (I Love You) by Michael Franti
·         My First My Last My Everything by Barry White
·         It’s Raining Men by The Weathergirls
·         Bad Day by Daniel Powter

I’d also add to this list
·         Just Give Me a Reason and Blow Me (one last kiss) by Pink (Lucy has Pink’s attitude so often it seems to fit.)
·         The Show by Lenka (would be perfect for either Sara or Sidney)
·         Me and Mrs. Jones by Billy Paul
·         Hard Candy by The Counting Crows
·         You and I Both by Jason Mraz
·         At Last by Etta James
·         A Thousand Years by Christina Perri
·         Club Can’t Handle Me by Flo Rida
·         I’m Yours/Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Straight No Chaser (for closing credits)

And I would like nothing better than Thrift Shop by Macklemore to be playing while Lucy is stealing all the strange stuff she doesn’t need. How awesome would that be?

Thanks for joining me, Ann! And thanks to Penguin for sending a review copy along. If you're a dog lover, be sure to add this one to your summer reading list -- just be sure to have a box of tissues nearby!

No comments: